Tide Lines

How to get good grades

While sitting in class, senior Alyssa Vidal checks her grades on Skyward. Many students balance extracurricular activities with school. “I play tennis and I'm in the band. Sometimes it is really hard to maintain good grades, but in order for me to keep them up, I do my assignments as soon as possible. I also study as soon as I get the information,” Vidal said.

Gillian Revenis

Gillian Revenis

Keeping up with schoolwork, sports and extracurriculars can be tough. Most people have their own techniques for keeping up with their work; the key for most people is being organized and not slacking or procrastinating. Here are a few of the most common ways to excel in school:

• Stay organized

One of the best ways to stay organized is to use a planner for assignments and activities. Now, no one should be thinking to himself that he does not have a planner because on the first day of school, everyone got one. It is not hard to write down every assignment you have in the planner to keep yourself organized. When you get home after school, all you have to do is the assignments you have written down. Every time you hear your teacher mention a project, you should write it down in your planner so you start thinking about it. When you do not write down your assignments, it is likely you will forget some very important things. Forgetting homework may not seem like a big deal, but it eventually impacts your grade. It is key to keep up with your school work so you do not fall behind.

1. Keep a schedule

Many students have lots of things to worry about other than schoolwork. Making a schedule of what is going on each week allows people see how much free time they will have each day. This way it is easier to plan what days they have the most time to work ahead on homework or big projects. Making a study schedule helps busy, involved teens with managing their time. It is also key to always study a few days in advance for a big test.

1. Develop your own study skills

The best way to develop good study skills is to figure out how you learn best. Study skills are important to keeping your grades up. Some people use Quizlet, an online flash card program, while some people make study guides. Reading from your textbook is an easy way to take in the most important images and information. Taking good notes and paying attention in class are important for when it comes time to study. When studying before tests, it is important that you use your time wisely. Put away distractions and really focus on learning the subject so you can do your best on your tests.

1. Study with your friends

Many of us take classes with many of the same people. If you do not understand a certain topic, your classmates may. Studying in groups is an easy way to discuss subjects with your friends. Planning Dunkin Donuts dates to work on homework or projects with friends may be more fun and effective than learning by yourself at home.

1. Always do all the work and extra credit

Not many teachers offer extra credit, but when they do, make sure you take advantage of it to get more points. It is also important to focus on trying your hardest to do your work. Skipping assignments because you do not feel like completing them will impact your grade. You may not think missed assignments add up, but if you miss enough of them they will. Participating often in class might make you stand out to your teachers. If you have a 93.2 in a class, that teacher might just bump you up to an A if you are an active student. This might make all the difference to your GPA at the end of the year.

1 Comment

One Response to “How to get good grades”

1. Meg Burns on October 3rd, 2017 7:31 pm

Thank you for writing this!I’m a freshman, and I was just having a conversation with my parents about balancing drama with homework time, so this helps a lot.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• How to get good grades

Featured Sports Story Carousel

The end of a record-breaking season: boys’ swim team excels in late-season meets

• How to get good grades

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Fall sports recap

• How to get good grades

Featured Sports Story Carousel

D.H.H. Lengel receives award from Walmart

• How to get good grades

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Seniors continue academic and athletic journeys (Photo)

• How to get good grades

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Quiz Team finishes its year-long season (photo)

• How to get good grades

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Senior reaches milestone for boys’ swim team (photo)

• How to get good grades

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Athletes put in work during their offseason (photo)

• How to get good grades

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Letter to the Editor: 9/11 Fifteen Years Later

• How to get good grades

Lengel Lingo News

Sign language should be taught in schools

• How to get good grades

Lengel Lingo News

Happy Summer!

The student news site of Pottsville Area High School