The student news site of Pottsville Area High School

Tide Lines

Coach Mullaney hits milestone (photo)

HUDDLE - During a timeout, Mr. Dave Mullaney, boys’ varsity basketball coach, gives his team a pep talk. Mr. Mullaney won his 200th game against Lehighton January 3. “If you’re fortunate enough to stay at a place for a long period, you will eventually accumulate some wins,” Mr. Mullaney said.

ALLURA MCCULLER

ALLURA MCCULLER

January 3 is a day to remember for the boys’ basketball team. On that day, in a game against Lehighton, Mr. Dave Mullaney, varsity head coach, reached a milestone by picking up his 200th career win.

For him, it took 10 years coaching the boys’ team to reach the milestone. During that time, Mr. Mullaney has led the team to six Schuylkill League championships, six straight seasons qualifying for District XI playoffs, three District XI championships and for the past three years, the second round of the state playoffs.

“This program has been fortunate to have so many high character, talented kids dedicate themselves over the last 10 years,” Coach Mullaney said. “We have a tremendous staff that has been instrumental in our success as well. We have created a culture that kids really want to be a part of and are willing to sacrifice in order to do so.”

Many of his players admire Coach Mullaney’s coaching skill and hope he is here to stay for a long time.

“It was awesome when he got his 200th win,” junior Josh Melochick said. “He is a great guy and he is a very good coach. I think the team will still be successful because he is a great coach.”

The athletic department is also very proud of Coach Mullaney’s accomplishments.

“I am happy for Coach Mullaney attaining his 200th win,” Mr. Eric Rismiller, athletic director, said. “Knowing Coach Mullaney for as long as I do, he would be the first to tell you that it wasn’t just him. His assistant coaches, friends of the program, booster parents, and especially the players. These young men have taken Coach Mullaney and all of us on a great ride, and we’re still going.”

Coach Mullaney plans to keep the run of successful championship seasons going.

“I think our program is in great shape right now. We are winning at all levels and have an undefeated JV team. Our coaching staff has never been stronger, and we have talented players throughout the program. We lose three very good seniors, but I feel the coming years could be some very special ones for Pottsville basketball,” Coach Mullaney said.

The athletic department hopes that Coach Mullaney will be here for many years to come and add more championships to his resumé.

“I would love to tell you that Coach Mullaney will be here until he ends his coaching career, but nobody knows what the future holds. He is a tremendous coach and teacher on and off the court,” Mr. Rismiller said. “I hope he continues to coach and bleed crimson and white for a very long time.”