The student news site of Pottsville Area High School

Tide Lines

Keeping up with the Schuylkill Technology Center (photo gallery)

OBSERVE – Checking out the underside of a Subaru Outback, senior Dakota Butler tightens a nut on an extension of the engine. Butler had to take a car engine totally apart and put it back together for one of his project grades. “I decided to go to STC because I wanted to learn about mechanics and I like to work on cars. I specifically like to work on engines,” Butler said. “It’s the hands-on experience that really helps.”

Allura Mcculler

Allura Mcculler

Alexa Biddle
SLICE – In the welding technology department, sophomore Jaden Rubright cuts into metal with a blow torch. Mastering this skill was one of the elements of his curriculum at STC in the first semester. “I felt pretty good about my progress because I was where I should be for my first year,” Rubright said.

Alexa Biddle
SPRINKLE – Putting the final touches on her bread loaves, junior Maria Spencer spreads powdered sugar over her raisin bread. Spencer has been interested in cooking and baking since she was young. “My favorite thing [to bake] was the dinner rolls. I made them so often that I got really good at them,” Spencer said. “The skills I learned will be very useful in the job field.”

Alexa Biddle
PREPARE – Practicing putting paint on tires, freshman Mason Curry grabs one to put on the balancer, a tool that simulates the natural spin of a tire so as to create an even covering of paint. This is only one of the many skills Curry picked up in the auto shop. “I learned how to change oil,” Curry said. “I like to work on cars in my spare time. I enjoy the hands on learning.”

Emily Rose
CRAFT – Working on the mill, sophomore Lewis Yeich drills holes in a piece of wood. Everything the machine shop students worked on was a hands-on activity. “We made different tools such as hammers, wrenches, and many other things made of metal,” Yeich said.

Emily Rose
EXPERIENCE – From the Diesel Technology shop, freshman Kaleb Aliberto destructs an engine. Destruction and reconstruction of an engine is one of the projects Aliberto worked on during his time at STC. “If you go there, it is very hard at the beginning. I learned so much. I went in knowing nothing,” Aliberto said.

Alexa Biddle
GRIND – Smoothing the side of the busted-up truck, sophomore Mark D’Angiolini sands the surface, practicing his collision repair skills. In the collision repair shop, the students worked on sanding and painting fenders and bumpers. “I learned how to sand, paint and take on/off tires,” D’Angiolini said.

Allura Mcculler
MASSAGE – Showing the proper salon hair washing procedure, junior Devin Pogera rinses the hair of a practice dummy in the cosmetology shop. Some of the skills he learned included perms, exotic updos and no heat curls. “I went [to STC] self-taught and learned new things and improved every day. It was exactly how I expected it, and I loved it,” Pogera said.

Allura Mcculler
ARRANGE – Freshman Tiarra Nelson works on a center piece in the horticulture shop. As a first year student, Nelson covered topics including plant health, plant IDs and floral design. “[Something important to remember is] not to put so many [flowers] of the same color [in a bouquet] because you want a focal point,” Nelson said.

Allura Mcculler