Underclassmen at the prom? The more the merrier!

Alec Gonzalez, Staffer

When one thinks of Prom, the most likely things to pass through one’s mind are suits, dresses, food, dancing and friends. Almost all of these are guaranteed to be at the annual Prom, except for some friends.

The reason I say some is because I, as a senior, will be seeing only my senior and Student Council friends there. I have always thought this was a little weird. I understand the senior prom is only for seniors and their dates, and that is fine since they deserved something for themselves, but to me, the Christmas prom always seemed like more enjoyable because it was something that was open to more people.I thought this because as a sophomore, I went to both the Christmas and the senior prom with senior dates. I did this again for my junior year, and I will be doing it yet again in my own senior year.

One thing I noticed every year I attended both was that the Christmas prom was usually more fun and enjoyable to attend and participate in than senior prom was. I believe the reason for this was because more of my younger friends were able to attend. As a result, my friends and I had a better time.

“Well, I don’t really understand why they restrict it the way they do anyway. Prom is supposed to be a special night, so why can only some experience it?” sophomore Logan Rolland said.

The way I see it, if people are able to bring guests from different school districts as dates, why shouldn’t our own students be able to attend an event hosted by their own school? It only makes sense. I can see some issues such as crowding or lack of funds for a larger venue getting in the way of this, but there is always the option of hosting it on campus. Martz Hall was constructed to hold some of the largest athletic events in our county, so why not a prom? This is all hypothetical seeing as how there is still a restriction on underclassmen, which hopefully will be lifted in coming years.