The student news site of Pottsville Area High School

Tide Lines

Basketball teams enjoy successful seasons (photos)

HUDDLE – During a timeout, the girls’ basketball team listens closely to their coaches’ suggestions. The girls won their December 23 game against Pine Grove 53-38. “I hope to really improve the upcoming season as a team,” junior Olivia Eckert said.

ALLURA MCCULLER

ALLURA MCCULLER

EMILY ROSE
LAYUP – As time winds down on the clock, senior Jordan Abdo goes strong to the basket for two points. The boys’ basketball team defeated Lourdes 51-46 in the Schuylkill League semi-finals February 15 to earn a berth in the finals. “I am going to miss playing in front of the big crowds in Martz Hall,” Abdo said.

The boys’ basketball turned in yet another state qualifying season. The team worked to a 20-8 record and made it to two championship games, the Schuylkill League championship and the District XI championship. The boys lost the games to Blue Mountain 47-39 and East Stroudsburg North 63-49, respectively. The team also qualified for the PIAA 5A state playoffs and lost 58-43 to Palmyra in the first round.

However, the team and the coaching staff are proud of their effort and accomplishments this season, including senior Jordan Abdo scoring his 1000th career point in the district championship.

“We had a very tough regular season schedule, and beating some of the teams on there was an accomplishment,” Abdo said. “It was an amazing feeling to score my 1000th point because I worked so hard all my life, and it shows that all the hard work and time paid off.”

ALLURA MCCULLER

The girls’ basketball team saw its season end a little earlier than expected. The girls were upset in the district semi-finals by lower-seeded Bangor February 25. However, the girls ended their season with a winning record of 19-7.

The team also made it to the Schuylkill League playoffs as the Division 1 champions. They defeated the Division 3 champion Mahanoy Area 45-39 in overtime February 14 in the semi-finals before falling to undefeated Minersville, the Division 2 champions, 72-35 February 17.

“We had a good season but came up short in districts,” junior Olivia Eckert said. “I hope to really improve the upcoming season as a team.”