Tide Lines

Mini Thon hosts a walk and run for a cure

Back to Article
Back to Article

The 5K course followed the same path the cross country team uses. All participants ran through the gate of Veterans Memorial stadium at the race’s end.

It’s 9 o’clock on a Saturday, and many students are already up out of bed. A 5K for all ages was held October 28 to raise money for pediatric cancer research. The run was held at Veterans Memorial Stadium.

The running course was the same one the cross country runners use during their meets. Participants were provided fruit and water after the race. The top three finishers were sophomore Josh Daubert, freshman Paige Mervine and senior Brenna Nagle.

“I started the 5K out not thinking I would do good because I was sore from practice all week. As the race went along I started to feel better so I went a little faster and ended up getting second female overall. I felt pretty good about it especially because one of my former cross country teammates got first place” Nagle said.

Thirty-six people participated, but about 60 people total attended, many to volunteer.

I know we talked about making it an annual thing because it was a good source of profit, and it was actually fun to organize,” senior Olivia Eagan, Thon Committee member, said.

Junior Abbey Wapinsky came up with the idea for the fundraiser from a similar one her mother organized. In total, about $600 was raised.

“It’s such a great thing to be able to raise and donate money to the Four Diamonds because ultimately we’re making a difference in children that have pediatric cancer. The 5K was a little shaky this year, but now we know what to make improvements for if we do it next year,” Eagan said.