Tide Lines

Netflix shows every high schooler should watch

"Vampire Diaries" is among the more recent Netflix series that I have binge-watched. I started it in November and finished all 8 seasons in December thanks to Thanksgiving and winter break. I look forward to finishing its spin-off series, "The Originals".

Kaelen McMullin

Kaelen McMullin

1. Vampire Diaries (2009-2017): High school drama seems irrelevant against the bigger problems a group of teens faces while becoming aware of the presence of the supernatural within their small town of Mystic Falls, Virginia. The many mortal and immortal characters face endless intertwining struggles of family, friends and foes.
  2. Gossip Girl (2007-2012): New York City’s most elite adolescents grow up in the spotlight of a stalker who knows their every move. No secret is left unspilled and no relationship is left untouched.
  3. Riverdale (2017- Present): Archie comic books come to life in a compelling tale of a seemingly perfect town where evil lurks under the surface. Chaos erupts over family ties while the teens of the town are left to put together all the pieces of the murder puzzles.
  4. Stranger Things (2016- Present): A mixture of middle schoolers and high schoolers unite in 1980s Indiana to solve the strange disappearance of their friends. The appearance of a stranger makes them rethink the normality of their home and the things that go on behind the curtain, or in this case, within a parallel dimension.
  5. Gilmore Girls (2000-2007, 2016): A mother-daughter relationship proves to outlast most in this plain Jane comedy centered around family and friends. It follows the goals and dreams of ambitious Rory with the help and guidance of the townspeople in Stars Hollow, Connecticut.
  6. Pretty Little Liars (2010-2017): A group of Pennsylvania girls brought together by one queen bee, Alison, drift apart when she goes missing. They soon get pulled back together by mutual messages they received signed by the letter A; the messages contain secrets shared only with Ali. Who will live? Who will die? And … who is A?
  7. 13 Reasons Why (2017- Present): The lives of many are affected by the death of one when Hannah Baker takes her own life. Tapes outlining the reasons for her suicide surface showing the major impact of minor things on people’s lives.
  8. 90210 (2008-2013): After a big move to Beverly Hills from Kansas, Annie attempts to fit in with the wealthy kids of the West Coast. The task proves harder than she thought when she becomes familiar with their rich way of life and is introduced to their conniving demeanors.