The student news site of Pottsville Area High School

Tide Lines

Spring and summer movie releases draw interest (computer art)

Tons of movies are coming out this spring and summer, including new installments in established franchises. “I'm a fan of comedy and family movies because they are something I can enjoy with my family. I also really like action films, so I’m looking forward to the new Fate of the Furious and Cars 3,” Mrs. Katie Koneschusky said.

Megan Skosnick

Megan Skosnick

Watching movies is a universal pastime and when asked what their favorite movie is, most people give a quick answer. Many people look to movies when they have nothing else to do. With all the movies coming out this spring and summer, there are plenty of things to go see in theaters.

Smurfs: The Lost Village (April 7): For all the animation fans, the Smurfs are appearing in their third film, in which Smurfette encounters a female Smurf like herself. The girl reveals a map, and the Smurf gang must find a lost village before the evil villain Gargamel gets there first.

“I enjoyed the first Smurfs movie, so I would be excited to see another one,” junior Noah Robertson said.

Everything, Everything (May 19): Calling all teen book lovers … this book will be brought to life on the big screen this spring. Amanda Stenberg, known as Rue from The Hunger Games, stars in this romantic drama about an 18-year-old girl who is sheltered due to her allergies. Much like the film The Fault in Our Stars, she meets a boy who changes her life.

Rough Night (June 16): Anyone who has watched Saturday Night Live recently has witnessed comedian Kate Mckinnon in action. Appearing in Office Christmas Party and Ghostbusters, she is known to play the oddest of roles in films. Rough Night, much like the Hangover movies, depicts a tale of a group at a pre-wedding party, but this time with girls who run into some trouble during their bachelorette party in Las Vegas.

Annabelle 2 (Aug 11): If you loved the Conjuring films and the first Annabelle movie, you may be drawn to this prequel to the 2014 film. This movie will give intel on the background of the doll and its creation.

“My favorite scary movie is The Conjuring. I would like to see an Annabelle sequel because the first Annabelle movie was fairly scary,” junior Mike Botto said.

Whether you actually enjoy movies or get stuck on a rainy day with nothing to do, consider going to watch one of these upcoming films in theaters.