Tide Lines

Hot or Cold?

Sophomore+Christina+Huff+is+sweating+in+Mr.+Shott%E2%80%99s+classroom.+The+heating+system+has+not+been+properly+functioning+the+past+couple+weeks.+%E2%80%9CI+like+classrooms+when+they+are+cooler.%E2%80%9D+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Hot or Cold?

Sophomore Christina Huff is sweating in Mr. Shott’s classroom. The heating system has not been properly functioning the past couple weeks. “I like classrooms when they are cooler.”

Having trouble with what to wear ? According to students and staff members at Pottsville Area High School, the classrooms never seem to have a stable temperature. It is always too hot or freezing cold. There is never a solid, temperate climate.

Teachers and students answered questions about the fluctuating temperatures. They gave their opinions and thoughts on the situation. We all have our own personal preferences on what conditions feel comfortable in our school building.   

Mr. Raymond Yost, Dean of Students, said, “ The weather has been unpredictable. We have a big building that takes time to heat and with unpredictable weather the boilers have to be turned on and off. I prefer cold classrooms.”

“I like heat. We are good in the Planetarium. I know other rooms that are very cold,” stated science teacher Mr. Adrian Portland.

Hoodies and turtlenecks have been a huge dilemma for the students. Most think they should be allowed in classrooms and halls, especially since the weather is so crazy. The temperatures cause the rooms to be very uncomfortable.

Mr. Portland also said, “The school board has their reasons for doing things. I thought turtlenecks were okay.”

Sophomore Christina Huff said, “I like when the classrooms are cooler because then I don’t sweat as much.”

“I think they should be cold, but not extremely cold. I get lightheaded when it’s too hot.” stated sophomore, Maddie Condon