Tide Lines

What is the Emerging Health Professionals program?

Back to Article
Back to Article

First Row: Sophia Bates, Schuyler Ossman, Christina Cook, Blessyn Marcelle; Second Row: Hannah Reiter, Courtney Greblick, Lauren Lukacz

Courtesy of Christina Cook

Courtesy of Christina Cook

Courtesy of Christina Cook

Recently, a new partnership between the Schuylkill Technology Center (STC), Penn State Schuylkill, Blue Mountain Health System, and Schuylkill Health created a new dual enrollment program called the Emerging Health Professionals. It combines interactive college-level classroom learning with observing real life health care professionals in their environment. Students not only earn college credits throughout the year, but also earn many different certifications like CPR, first aid and OSHA, which are great for students to have when starting a health career.  

This half-day program takes place all year long. A student’s week consists of two half-days a week with Penn State faculty and the STC instructor at Penn State Schuylkill, two half-days a week participating in job shadowing activities, and one half-day a week participating in a health curriculum taught by the STC instructor.

“No matter where you go, the students and advisers are there to help, and they encourage you to be active,” senior Christina Cook said.
How do students become a part of this program, and how do they know they are eligible? The criteria includes attending high school, as a senior, in a Schuylkill County school district, having a GPA of a 3.0 or higher and having completed one year of high school biology and chemistry with a grade of 3.0 or better. The program is open to seniors each year. Eligible students must also have excellent attendance records and written recommendations from high school guidance counselors and chemistry or biology teachers. After meeting these requirements, students will be interviewed.

“If you’re worried you don’t meet the requirements talk to your guidance counselor. It never hurts to try,” Cook said.

Participants in this program are enrolled in a total of eight Penn State credits which include the following: BIOL 129-Mammalian Anatomy (offered in the fall semester), BIOL 141-Introductory Physiology (offered in the spring semester) and BIOL 142 Physiology Laboratory (offered in the spring semester). Students are enrolled at Penn State Schuylkill in the high school Dual Enrollment program and receive a 50 percent scholarship toward the cost of their tuition. Students are responsible for the costs of all PSU college credits and any additional fees which may include required textbooks, goggles and lab coats.

“If you have any interest at all in a health career please contact your guidance counselor or even myself,” Cook said. “This program only has positive outcomes, and I wouldn’t want you to miss out on this awesome opportunity!”