Tide Lines

Crimson Tide Foundation receives donation

Back to Article
Back to Article

Members of the Crimson Tide Foundation pose with the $5,000 check from Mid Penn Bank. From left back row: Cory Holobetz, Ned Connors, Pete Joyce, Dr. Jeffrey Zwiebel, Craig Shields, Vince Wychunas, Jim Brennan of Mid Penn Bank, Adrian Portland, Bob Dusel Jr.—front row left Lillian Hobbs, John Liddle, Keith Kirby of Mid Penn Bank, Kathy Zwiebel

Courtesy of John Liddle

Courtesy of John Liddle

Courtesy of John Liddle

Mid Penn Bank presented a $5,000 donation to the Crimson Tide Foundation at a meeting held Tuesday, January 8. The donation was made through the Educational Improvement Tax Credit Program (EITC). It is the Crimson Tide Foundation’s first donation received through the EITC program.

“We had spoken to the bank about the donation, which sometimes takes a little bit of work,” Mrs. Lillian Hobbs, school librarian and Crimson Tide Foundation board member, said. “When you go into this program, your name goes on a list so companies who are wishing to donate money can consult the list and choose to make a donation.”

“It’s a system where businesses can benefit from donating to nonprofit organizations like the Crimson Tide Foundation. The money from that donation will benefit the digital media program,” Mr. Adrian Portland, science teacher and Crimson Tide Foundation board member, said.

The digital media program, also known as Publications, or simply Pub, consists of a group of students who plan and produce the yearbook and write stories for the TideLines student news website. Students in Pub learn how to properly write stories and picture captions as well as edit pictures and spreads using industry-standard Adobe programs. In addition, students learn communication skills that will benefit them in any field the choose to work in after high school. Students in the Publications program have the opportunity to work with nationally recognized leaders in student journalism and award winning productions. Video equipment and renovations are specific things mentioned when talking about specific purchases with the donation.

“We are very appreciative of the help and support we receive from the Crimson Tide Foundation. The support they provide to our students and staff have helped us to supplement various areas of our curriculum,” Dr. Jeffrey Zwiebel, Superintendent, said. “The donation from Mid Penn Bank is a boost to the high school publications program as it continues its transition to a digital media format.”

Along with the purchase of new video equipment, new classes are in the works for the 2019-2020 school year relating to the communications field. Two levels in journalism, computer animation, video production and expanded graphic design options will be offered. With these classes and the improvement of equipment in the Publications program, students will not only become more well-rounded, but also have first-hand experience with the tools used in today’s workplace.